Return to Home Page

C - D

*******************************************************************************************

************

cb - (Ceramique de Beauce) See entry for Beauce/Beauceware

************

CC

************

CCC (Canadian Ceramic Craft) - Craigleith, then Collingwood, Ontario.
Red clay body.

CCC was started c. 1960 by Mr. Dennis Tupy who immigrated to Canada from Czechoslovokia in 1951. Dennis was the first mold maker at Blue Mountain Pottery. CCC was reformed into Rainbow Ceramics (see entry for Rainbow Ceramics)

An interesting transitional hangtag of the old Canadian Ceramic Craft company using a rubber stamp to show the new Rainbow Ceramics name. Circa 1966.

************

CCC (Canadian Ceramic Craft) - Clarksburg, Ontario.
White clay body.

************

CCC (Unknown)
Another CCC mark that is not Canadian Ceramic Craft

************

Canada Art Pottery - Hamilton, Ontario

************

Canada Potteries, Ltd. - Hamilton, Ontario. See also the entry for R. Campbell Sons, Potters.

************

Canadian Ceramic Craft - See entries for CCC

************

Canadian Art Creation

************

Canadian Art China - Collingwood, Ontario

************

Canadian Porcelain Company - Hamilton, Ontario
Founded 1912 by Walter T. Goddard and John Alden, both from the U.S.
Company was formed to manufacture porcelain insulators and fixtures for use with electricity. George Emery was hired in 1913: An association that lasted until c. 1940.

************

Canadian Potteries, Ltd. - St. Jean, Quebec
Established in 1830, joined the Crane Canada, Inc. Group in 1920. A new plant was built in 1931. Still in operation. Over the years it has continued to produce lavatories, water closets, and other sanitary ware for a variety of uses.

A new pottery was constructed at Coquitlam, British Columbia in 1958 to supplement the production of the plant at St. Jean, Quebec. Until its closure in 1993, the factory supplied the western market with the same high quality vitreous china sanitary ware products as produced at the St. Jean plant.

************

Canadiana - Ingleside, Ontario
Founded by Alfred Dube - see Alfred Dube

************

Canuck Pottery, Ltd. - Saint John, N.B. then c. 1964 Labelle, Quebec. Operation was a continuation of Foley Pottery (see that entry). Sons, Percy and Alponse, of Fenwick Foley were owners. Factory moved to Labelle, Quebec following a disastrous fire at the Saint John location (Bayside Drive also, but in a newly contructed building 2 miles from original Foley home) in 1963. Both white and red clay items produced. Operations ceased in 1970's.

----- Beachcomber Ware. Known to have existed c. 1958. (Saint John)

----- Evangeline Ware. (Saint John and Labelle locations)

From a 1943 trade directory, the entry reads:

"CANUCK POTTERY, 198 Union Street, Saint John, N.B., Can.
Established 1938.  Plant at Saint John.  Plant telephone, Saint John 3-2053.  2 periodic kilns (glost ware).  Fuel - electric.  Colored jugs and souvenir novelties.  Rated capacity of plant: 250,000 pieces annually.  Buy electric power.  President, Fenwick D. Foley; General Manager, Percy T. Foley; Superintendent, Alfred T. Foley."

(Top photos) A charming perfume jug made by Canuck starting in the late 1930's. The one on the right is by Canuck, the one on the left by Uhl Pottery. Note in the pictures of the bottoms, Uhl clay is an off white while Canuck is a brick red.

(Above photo) These Canadian Apple Blossom and Canadian Mayflower perfume jugs, made for Palmers Limited of Montreal can be found in numerous shapes and sizes and originally were sold with a pink ribbon tied around the jug neck and sealed with dark green wax over a wedge-shaped cork.

Canuck Pottery, Ltd. - Saint John, N.B. then c. 1964 Labelle, Quebec. Operation was a continuation of Foley Pottery (see that entry). Sons, Percy and Alphonse, of Fenwick Foley
were owners. Factory moved to Labelle, Quebec following a disastrous fire at the Saint John location (Bayside Drive also, but in a newly contructed building 2 miles from original
Foley home) in 1963. Both white and red clay items produced. Operations ceased in 1970's.

Beachcomber Ware. Known to have existed c. 1958. (Saint John) Evangeline Ware.(Saint John and Labelle locations) from a 1943 trade directory, the entry reads:"CANUCK POTTERY, 198 Union Street, Saint John, N.B., Can. Established 1938. Plant at Saint John. Plant telephone, Saint John 3-2053. 2 periodic kilns (glost ware). Fuel - electric. Colored jugs and souvenir novelties. Rated capacity of plant: 250,000 pieces annually. Buy electric power. President, Fenwick D. Foley; General Manager, Percy T. Foley; Superintendent, Alfred T. Foley."

Joseph White

(b Bristol, 28 Dec 1799; d Saint John, NB, 15 Jan 1870). Canadian potter of English birth. In 1814 he was apprenticed to the Bristol potter J. D. Pountney. Later, with his brother James White, he carried on a successful business in Bristol making Rockingham, black teapots and stoneware jugs (1828-55). The brothers' leadless liquid glaze for stoneware was of such quality that London potteries, including Doulton, purchased supplies of it. They retired in 1855 and Joseph White jr (1829-75) took over the pottery. In 1864 Joseph White's son Frederick J. White (1838-1919) persuaded him to buy the Courtenay Bay Pottery, Crouchville, New Brunswick. There he quickly introduced the 'latest English designs' in moulded earthenware and 'superior' stoneware with his Bristol glaze. Though the Crouchville pottery failed under his sons, his grandson James W. Foley (1857-1904), whom he had trained, set up his own pottery in Saint John. White's Foley descendants potted there until 1964,
when fire destroyed the premises. The works then transferred to Labelle, Quebec, and, as the Canuck Pottery Ltd, made ornamental earthenware, including moulded jugs.

The Crouchville location was on the shore of Courtney Bay, east of Saint John proper. It later became part of the Parish of Simonds, which in turn was later amalgamated into the greater Saint John expansion.

The images above and to the right can be enlarged by clicking on them.

************

CeramiCraft, Ltd. - Winnipeg, Canada

************

Ceramique Tracadie Ceramics - Tracadie, N.B.

************

Chapleau

See also entry for Northern Pottery

************

Charlottetown Pottery, Ltd. - Charlottetown, P.E.I.

************

Chatelau Ceramic

************

Cherish Porcelain - Sorrento, B.C.

************

Chinook Art Ware

Front of plate: "Wheat and oil from the same soil - Alberta"

Reminds me of the 1920's slogan for Enid, Oklahoma: "Where the wheat grows and the oil flows"

************

Colloma Pottery

************

Craftco Pottery

************

Creemore China & Glass - Creemore, Ontario

************

Danesi Art - Toronto, Ontario
Known to have been in production in 1959, no other details.

************

Decalcraft - Toronto, ON

************

Deichmann Pottery - N.B.

The original house near Saint John, N.B., is still there. Mrs. Deichmann was also an accomplished wood carver. A pottery friend in New Brunswick remembers visiting the Deichmanns as a child and Mrs. Deichmann would bring out a whole barrel full of her carved animals for him to play with. Information about Deichmann Pottery can be found here.

************

Devonware - Location Unknown

************

Donvale - Toronto, ON

************

Dundas Clay Products, Ltd. - Dundas, Ontario
Operated c. 1934-39, with Mr. George Emery as President, producing decorative ware. Additional principals were Albert Ross and James Orme. Operation purchased by McMaster Pottery in 1939 and George Emery continued making pottery in Hamilton.

************

Dutchtown - Shelburne, Ontario

************

Return to Home Page